[pianotech] Dealer labor fees

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Jun 18 15:12:09 MDT 2009

Great advise David!

I used to do a LOT of store "warranty tunings" and get to the customers'
house and find the junk they just sold them was in need of much more than
a simple tuning....especially with the used crap they would sell.  The
customer, of course, would expect all the problems fixed along with the
basic tuning....expecting a Steinway when they bought a 60 year old
upright!  What an uncomfortable situation to be in with a stranger!!
Or...with new Young Chang G-150's from the first serial numbers from the
China plant. they just purchased at Costco or one of those "tent or
warehouse sales".. OMG!  That was where I got out of that business of
store work.  Now..if anyone calls from a store...it's full
price....PERIOD! including reg probs, sticky keys, etc....all full price!
Nobody calls.  What a suprise!

Best,
Paul T. Williams RPT
UNL

"David Love" <davidlovepianos at comcast.net>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
06/18/2009 02:38 PM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

<pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [pianotech] Dealer labor fees

Remember, however, that less than perfect work that you do reflects on you
with the customer, not the dealer.  I will routinely discount to the trade
10 – 15%, not more.  But never quote a price beforehand.  That simple
tuning has a way of becoming an semi-tone pitch raise.  I don’t like
walking away from a situation feeling a conflict between doing my best
work and getting paid a reasonable amount.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com