[pianotech] Aurally pure octaves

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Sat Mar 14 09:02:51 PDT 2009

Greetings,

         Anyone into photgraphy  knows a term called "bracketing" your
exposure. Is where you take a photograph  at 3 different "f stops" -->(lens apeture
openings).....so that youre  sure to get the picture.

          Well...I find that  octaves are like that. To me, they are a
mystery. I thought from my very first  week of tuning, that they are the most
difficult  interval to tune, and I told the tuning teacher so.

          In other words,  there seems to be a "range" they can be tuned in.
After 7 years of tuning, I  find that (especially with the taking on of tuning
Valotti temperatment) in  fact, 4ths, 5ths and Octaves have this "range" they
can be tuned in.

They can be tuned so  perfect that theres this "cutting" off or they can be
tuned so they have this  "blooming" effect.

Julia
Reading, PA

In a message dated 3/10/2009 5:02:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,