[pianotech] Do we do Keyboard repairs??

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Wed Mar 18 05:26:02 PDT 2009

Matthew,
  My suggestion is to leave them alone---Although I did repair a broken pedal mount on a Clavinova type instrument last week. Only for a musician friend in need did I even consider looking at this problem.If it was an electronic issue I would be lost but it turned out to be a broken piece of plastic that was repared with C.A. and a small block of 1/2" plywood and sheet metal screws to reinforce the damaged area from below. I did have to go to the big hardware store with all those screws and things.
Best wishes ,
Tom Driscoll
  Subject: [pianotech] Do we do Keyboard repairs??

          I have been getting calls of late for repairing keyboards.  Several weeks ago I received a call from a retirement home about a non-functioning damper pedal, and I just got off the phone with a church that has two sticking keys on their keyboard.

          I am just wondering how many of us repair keyboards, and if it's worth getting involved with.

          TODD PIANO WORKS
          Matthew Todd, Piano Technician
          (979) 248-9578
          http://www.toddpianoworks.com