[pianotech] Upright Piano Dolly

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 3 07:58:13 MST 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 1:16 AM, Rob McCall <rob at mccallpiano.com> wrote:

> Greetings list,
>
> This Wednesday, I'll be installing my first set of piano dollies for an
> upright.  It's for a Yamaha P22 at a nearby Middle School.  I ordered and
> have the Schaff #4009 twin dollies to install. (NOT the heavyweight one).
>
> I plan on mounting them permanently and would appreciate any tips, advice,
> tricks, caveats, provisos, stipulations, etc.  that you are willing to
> share.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Regards,
>
> Rob McCall
> McCall Piano Service, LLC
> Murrieta, CA
>
> rob at mccallpiano.com
> www.mccallpiano.com
> 951-698-1875

I agree with Jim that it is imperitave to bolt through the bottom with
bolts, large flat washers, lock washers and nuts as well as using lag bolts
for the back. In my experince the lag bolts into the back typically work
loose and fall out after the dollies have hit a wall or door way a few dozen
times. I part company with Jim about going with a larger bolt, I use grade 5
or grade 8 bolts which are much stronger than standard and have stood me in
good stead for many years.
Do be careful when tipping on a tipper and strap the piano to it, when the
dollie are in place the piano will have a nasty tendency to run away from
you DAMHIK

I also have to agree with James that placing the dollies as far toward the
ends as possible is a good idea, stability and you can still get the bench
under it, usually.

Good luck,
Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404