[pianotech] Upright Piano Dolly

David Stocker firtreepiano at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 3 09:36:29 MST 2009

I have installed more than 50 sets of dollies on uprights, all the larger
variety. Larger wheels deal better with thresholds. Most smaller sets I have
seen have bent over time so that the castors no longer follow (castor, the
verb) properly. Good luck with yours.

Dollies MUST MUST MUST be installed as close to the sides of the piano as
possible. Many piano bottom boards and toe (or pedal) rails will warp if
they are not installed towards the outside. I have seen several pianos with
dollies installed by a local store where the back of the keybed has been
forced up enough to cause severe regulation problems.

When installing the larger dollies, if there is a toe I will drill through
the side of the dolly into the toe and insert a lag screw. This prevents the
dolly from pushing up on the toe rail, and keeps the piano from rocking.
(Ooooo, you have damaged the finish! Oh, yeah? This school piano is going to
be beat on for sixty years and then be surplused for fifty bucks. I will opt
for the solid feeling piano.)

Drill your holes for the lag screws carefully, they are a soft metal and
will break off if the hole is not big enough. Argh! Ask me how I know this!

David Stocker, RPT
Tumwater, WA