[pianotech] New keyframe

George F Emerson pianoguru at cox.net
Wed Nov 11 12:21:45 MST 2009

Chuck,

I'm guessing that the rodent contamination has also ruined the balance rail key bushings.  I'm also guessing that there maybe rust at the bottom of the balance pins, potentially enlarging the balance hole in the bottom of the key, once pulled free of the rust.  If these are the case, I would consider the following.

Route a channel in the bottom of the keys to install a new hardwood boot at the balance rail of each key.  Drill through the old front rail (not the balance rail), with a drill small enough to just mark the location in the new front rail pins without enlarging the old front rail holes.  Assemble the new front rail to the other members of the new keyframe.  Install front rail pins, rebush only the front pin bushings in the keys.  If you are replacing key buttons remove the old buttons.  If you're only rebushing, remove the old bushings.  Maybe a section at a time, place the keys on the new keyframe, clamped to the frame and to each other, insuring proper spacing and alignment to the action scale.Drill from the top through the new key boots and balance rail in one operation.  Use stops to insure the natural balance pins are in a perfectly straight line, and the same for the sharps.

This allows you to redrill the keys and drill the balance rail together for perfect alignment.  That's a lot of work, but it sounds like you are up to it.  On the other hand, is the piano worth it?

Frank Emerson