[pianotech] Complete piano service, was Workload

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Wed Nov 11 20:06:55 MST 2009

On Nov 11, 2009, at 6:30 PM, Bruce Dornfeld wrote:

> I agree completely!  This is what’s good for the music and the
> technician.  I think most techs are afraid to sell it.  How do you
> go about it?

1) ask great questions:
---"Has this piano ever been serviced? It's a machine, ya know. Have
you ever seen the action out?
---"How long have you owned it?" How many hours---guesstimated---is it
played in a week/month?"
---"Wow. So it's been ___hundred/thousand hours since any service
whatsoever besides tuning has been done.
	That's like driving a car xxxxx miles and just putting gas in it.
That's kind of brutal...."

2) SHOW them what's wrong---letoff, springs, drop, key travel, string
cuts---and TELL them how that "wrongness" makes the piano sound and
feel, and the simple steps you'll take to correct it and make it
right. If you're accurate, and they're anywhere towards being a decent
player, they'll immediately sense you know what you're doing, and
they'll agree to to the work.

3) Be authentic. Be honest. Don't promise the moon unless you've
delivered it reliably many times before. Underpromise and overdeliver.

4) MOST IMPORTANT: the final question (if they haven't agreed to the
work already)
	"So. Do you want to do this work?"
			    then
	     SILENCE. DO NOT SPEAK.

The vast majority of times the client will say "yes." Then everybody
gets excited and happy. Bingo.

Hope this helps.

DA