[pianotech] iphone database?

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Mon Nov 23 17:17:35 MST 2009

Hi Ron,

I've tried Bento for the Mac and iPhone, but I wasn't all that impressed.  It looks glamorous and all, but it lacks substance. It might be good for just your contacts, but I find it slow and cumbersome to navigate.

The one I use is a much more powerful and customizable database program called Daylite (for the Mac).  It's $189 for the desktop version, which is cheaper than Filemaker Pro, but I feel well worth the investment.

http://www.marketcircle.com/daylite/

It also integrates well with your existing email and your iPhone. Here's the iPhone version.

http://www.marketcircle.com/daylitetouch/index.html

The only item that might be an issue is that the iPhone app is free, but it costs $50 per year to be able to connect and sync with your database. To me it's worth the $4 a month to be able to update data on my iPhone and then sync effortlessly with my Mac.

You can customize it with as many fields as you can think of.  I think the demo is free.

It does have a detailed learning curve, but once you get over the initial hump, it seems to pick up pretty fast.

It's not for everyone, but it's well integrated and works extremely well for me!

Regards,

Rob McCall
McCall Piano Service, LLC
Murrieta, CA