[pianotech] maps or GPS

Scott Helms, RPT tuner at helmsmusic.net
Fri Nov 27 03:43:26 MST 2009

I use a Garmin and for the most part, I like it. One feature I especially
like that maps don't provide is an estimated time of arrival. I almost
rely on the GPS more for this function than for the routing. Because it's
automatically programmed to avoid left turns (supposedly more accidents
happen during a left turn than in any other maneuver), it sometimes gives
me really crazy routing and I have to know the area enough to decide to
take a different route. It will get you there regardless, but I don't like
this (unchangeable) feature of taking you all around the block just to
avoid a left turn. One other beef I have with it is that it doesn't keep
"up with the times" when a new road is built, or a business you're looking
for is no longer there - even if you connect it to your computer and do
the software updates. I live in a ridiculously fast-growing region,
though, so it's not surprising that the maps don't keep pace with that.

Scott
------
Scott A. Helms, Registered Piano Technician
480-818-3871
www.helmsmusic.net