[pianotech] To Don, Mark, and Roger. Was Jeannie, etc.

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Fri Nov 27 12:50:14 MST 2009

David,

Definitely! Good comment. I've heard that some factories won't let their top end pianos out (sell) for months, in order to let them settle in there. Steinway has a pounder, as do many other factories.

In fact, one tech jokingly told that some "greener" (newer, cheaper Chinese) pianos need to be moved around every day or two so they won't take root...

Jim Busby

I think a lot of this discussion is from a fantasy world many piano technicians seem to be living in...are we really expecting a brand new piano to be regulated, tuned and voiced to a knat's hair before it will sell?   Is this not a little self-serving...how many of you have talked about the need for their newly hung hammers to be played in before more voicing?   I think these factory hammers have been pretty recently installed also...new parts...things change with playing and acclimation...I love Yamaha's Service Bond.   I think more manufacturers should take the same approachh.   I think of it as a breaking in period...wood, wire, wool...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044