[pianotech] Over prepping sales pitch WAS: prepping before sale

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 29 12:25:43 MST 2009

Well, unfortunatly, it's not a joke. But I don't believe their claim that they take the strings out. And I do find their pianos way out of tune if/when I get to them. I think that sales people are just plain afraid to tell customers that a piano needs constant maintenance because it's a stringed instrument. They figure that if they can have the customer swallow a bunch of lies they will be more inclined to buy from them.

It's difficult to know if what people tell me is true or not though. Normal persons know so little about pianos that they don't even know the difference between hammers and dampers: They're just pads... :-(  So a piano with hammers that were reshaped become new pads.

I think we still have a huge task ahead to educate new piano buyers, but when the other guy spoils them with his lies... the damage is done.

Sad fact of life.

Marcel