[pianotech] Restoration: Free for Fame?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Sep 5 21:20:48 MDT 2009

Don Mannino wrote:
> What an interesting story.
>
> At some point the producer will perhaps realize that technicians are all
> very small businesses (i.e., 1 person!) which cannot afford to do
> multiple weeks worth of work without pay.

That would be nice to believe, but it seems unlikely, somehow.
Salaried people to a remarkable degree don't understand that
if the customer isn't paying for the independent's time, he
doesn't otherwise have a paycheck. It doesn't seem to be that
tough a concept, but it's amazing to me how seldom it's
understood.

> Also, who wants national exposure?  So if you get a rush of 20 requests
> for rebuilds from all over the country, it would be a huge headache.
> Most shops couldn't accomodate them, and then come all the hassles of
> servicing out of town rebuilds.

That should be mostly self leveling. Presuming that a couple
of week's worth of "rebuild" time and materials actually
generates that response volume, 17 of them will be horrified
that the price is over a couple of hundred dollars (after all,
they don't need a "concert quality" instrument), two of them
will sort of understand, and will get back with you REAL SOON,
and one will be a doctor from Nigeria who will be thrilled to
spend any amount if you'll just front him $10k until his
cashier's check clears. Servicing out of town-state-country
rebuilds isn't likely to be a real big concern, considering.
Given that the program was conceived and produced as a means
for THEM to make money, this doesn't strike me as all that
unexpected.

> Maybe they will find one of the more production oriented rebuilding
> shops that could handle doing it.

But if they're making it already, they don't need to play. And
if they aren't, they can't afford to either.

That's how I read 'em.
Ron N