[pianotech] Hook, Line and Sinker...

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Fri Jul 2 08:35:33 MDT 2010

On Jul 2, 2010, at 6:38 AM, Jon Page wrote:

   To which she said that she wasn't > real happy.

> I mentioned that with the heaviness, most of her effort is wasted in > just
> getting the key to move and that a lighter touch would give more > control
> for tone production. BUT 'She has the most wonderful teacher who > taught
> her the best technique and she can handle it'.
>
> I could see that no amount of logic was going to steer her away from > her
> preconceived notions.

I get my best results when I point out to them that they are not getting their money's worth, that the piano is
only performing at say, 70% of its potential.  Draw an analogy like having a highly tuned Ferrari with tires that are half deflated.  They are being CHEATED of the full someway experience!  Maybe sometimes I mention that the piano is ok for things like hymns or pop music, but if someone is going to try and play Chopin, the piano is going to be the limiting factor,real quick.
    If they are serious pianists, and some of the sure things are there, (jacks way distal, screaming springs, erratic pinning, maybe 1/4" of drop and let-off, etc.), I can tell them that if there is not a night and day difference in how controllable their piano is, they won't have to pay. It is almost like shooting fish in a barrel, though,  some will not budge, no matter what you offer.
Regards,
Ed