[pianotech] Raising rates in recession

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Jul 2 22:51:23 MDT 2010

Depends on the machine.  A VT calculates it automatically by measuring each
note that you are tuning and if in pitch raise mode gives you a target based
on your programming.  The SAT you have to take periodic measurements as you
are going, say every 5th or octave or so.  The RCT calculates the average
based on the last five notes tuned (trailing average).  Whichever way the
ETD's do a pretty good job of figuring out the required overpull and giving
you a target.  The standard overpull settings will vary depending on which
part of the piano you are talking about.  The 38% overpull is a standard of
the VT for the treble but I think it's a bit too much and you can customize
it.  The SAT III has as 25% setting and a 32% (or something like that) and
you can choose which one to use depending on which part of the piano and
what type of piano (they vary).  I'm not sure what the RCT settings are.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com