[pianotech] Raising rates in recession

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Jul 4 08:07:25 MDT 2010

Different ETDs function differently. I've owned and used a SAT for
many years and now a Verituner for many years.

If you are purely relying on the ETD to calculate a tuning, you can
start anywhere with the SAT because prior to tuning you "sample" three
strings (different notes). From those three notes the SAT will then
calculate a tuning. At that point you can start at A0, C88, A4,
wherever and go anywhere - the calculated tuning will not change. In
general, on a well-scaled large piano (are there any?), where there
are note major compromises  in the scaling, the SAT will produce very
good results used like this. However on smaller and/or poorly scaled
(and/or significantly compromised scales), the tuning will be improved
with aural correction (like at the bass/tenor break on almost all
pianos).

However, the Verituner does its calculating differently. On a piano
where you have not saved a tuning for (first time at the piano), one
starts by sampling a number of strings/notes, much like the SAT -
usually at least all the A's and strings adjacent to the bass/tenor
break. Because the Verituner "listens" to all the notes and uses all
the data (string partials) collected to calculate the next note, it is
best to tune like an aural tuner does by tuning the temperament
section first, then going up the scale, back to the temperament and
then down.

I believe RTC calculates a tuning very similar to the SAT, but rather
than basing the calculation on three notes, you sample five notes. Not
sure exactly how the TunLab works - I think very similar to RTC, but I
don't know for sure.

Hope this helps.

Terry Farrell