[pianotech] Tuning a temperament without counting beats

Joseph Alkana josephspiano at comcast.net
Sat Jul 10 08:02:47 MDT 2010

I thought the article was very well presented and fairly readable. In fact I
was initially intrigued and pulled into the material right off the bat with
the discussion of setting the A3. I kept waiting for a resolution to my
puzzlement as to how the A3's placement would be resolved. I was very
perplexed when the whole temperament sequence was established and then some
checking was begun. But all was well when we got to the second paragraph of
page six. I just would feel more familiar with proving the octave setting of
one of the cornerstone contiguous Major thirds right off the bat, thank you.

I do think this not counting beats approach is fairly well covered in Randy
Potter's course under his "Potter II temperament" sequence. Yes, no? The
piano is actually telling you how to set the stretch without a mechanical
counting of anything - just listening.

Joseph Alkana RPT (Retired)