[pianotech] Wixie inclinometer

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jul 14 07:26:56 MDT 2010

Allen Wright wrote:
> thanks, Ron (and for the photo!). I see your point; but in the various
> articles I've studied regarding crown and downbearing, mm distances seem
> to be used, and not angle measurements. In the PTG articles by Hartman,
> for example, he discusses how to measure distance bearing and then
> calculate the amount of pressure being exerted on the board. Do you use
> angles for all this - when measuring old boards and determining how much
> bearing etc. to apply in new boards?

Hi Allen,
Yes, I use angles. Setting bearing, I'll use a string and
calculate rise from angle and back length, but everything
already strung is measured in angles.

>Sorry for my ignorance -- I'm a bit
> confused. Has the use of this gauge been discussed in any detail
> previously on the list? If so I'll dig into the archives.

It's been discussed a little, but there's not much to it. Zero
on one segment, and read angular deviation on another, like
the Lowell gage.
Ron N