[pianotech] Business License....???

Hy Cohen frowninverter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 00:21:38 MDT 2010

According to www.cagold.ca.gov, it appears business licenses are required
for service-only businesses; however, I may be mistaken in that they did not
list our industry specifically as a choice in the "wizard" form. While they
did not have our industry listed, I did chose other service-only businesses,
like janitorial services, and marketing consulting.

Also, someone cited s reference that said that piano technicians did not
need a license or permits.

http://education-portal.com/piano_technician_training.html

"Licenses and Certifications Piano technicians are not required to be
licensed. The PTG offers the industry's only regulated credentials,
available to its members. Qualified piano technicians who pass three
technical exams can obtain Registered Piano Technician (RPT) credentials.
Although RPT certification is not required, it is typically an important
selling point for self-employed piano technicians pursuing clients."

Are you sure that reference wasn't talking about professional licensing and
permitting, such as taxi cab drivers, medical doctors, massage therapists,
lawyers, construction contractors, etc. instead of your standard business
operation license? My understanding is our industry is not regulated by
federal / state / local governments, like taxi cab drivers, medical doctors,
etc. are. So, that is why we don't need a professional license / permit.
However, I do not believe they are referring to your standard business
(operation) license.

So, from what I know, in California piano technicians, even if they keep
their businesses limited to service-only businesses (no retail selling of
piano benches, used pianos, etc.) still must have a valid business license
to legally operate. I am not an attorney by any stretch of the imagination,
so I could be quite wrong, but that is just my understanding of what is or
isn't required by law.

But like others have said, there appears to be so many differences between
the various states, counties, and cities across the U.S. that it is enough
to leave most people scratching their heads.

I also know that a lot of the time the staff who answer the phones when you
call the various departments to find out about business licenses do not have
a clue of what is and isn't required-even though they sure pretend they do.
For example, I emailed a business counselor at the Small Business
Development Center (SBDC) commenting about how I was told it would be $415
for just my business license (not the home business permit, fictitious name
permit, etc.). He told me that fee seemed extremely high. He said it should
be closer to $100. The same government worker who told me my business
license would be $415 was the same person who told me I couldn't operate my
business from where I'm living. So, I guess the only way to find
out-hopefully-is to go down to the government office in person and talk to
someone who is actually the one who approves or disapproves of business
licensing & home-business permits in my county. It doesn't help that my
county doesn't list the various fees, etc. on their Website.

Based on what I've learned and the feedback I've received from this list, it
appears I have a few realistic options to legally be able to start my
business if we decide to remain where we are currently located:

-      I can contact a nearby piano technician who doesn't have the same
head-scratching land-use restrictions I have and see if I can possibly
"rent" shop space from them;

-      Sign up for space at a small business "incubator" location which will
allow the performance of small repair work that I will likely come across
(about $50 per month);

-      Subcontract those few jobs out to another technician;

-      or, just do the work on-site, even if it takes several trips
(probably the option I would go for as a last result.but that's me <grin>)

Alternatively, I just wait until we move to another location without the
restrictions. But then, hopefully what I was told by that one government
worker was incorrect.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions! I know this is a complicated
topic-what is and is not required by law for us to operate our businesses.

Warmly,

Hy