[pianotech] Abel naturals - report

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 17:20:14 MDT 2010

At 17:54 -0400 19/7/10, Will Truitt wrote:

>The only thing I would add to what Dale has said is that make sure
>you needle deeply enough.  I like to get pretty deep into the
>shoulder with my needle(s).  If you can't push in 3 needles, then go
>with a single needle.  Don't be afraid, you're not going to kill the
>hammer in the shoulders.

I must say my experience of the natural felt has been very good
indeed.  I have never used standard hammers covered in this felt but
always have them custom made by Abel, and I have also had hammers
recovered in the special natural felt.

I have not come across a felt that is easier to tone.  The needle can
be pushed in far more easily than with some, and there is a
satisfying crunchy feel as it goes in, which I associate with the
felts of long ago.  With most hammers I do most of my toning by
stabbing, but with these it is far less effort to use a pushing
action for at least half the work.  For many years since I have used
a single needle.

As to steaming them, I just can't imagine from my experience of this
felt how this might ever be necessary.  All the sets I have had have
been just the right amount too bright after preliminary papering up,
requiring what I consider to be a reasonable amount of toning, and
they are a pleasure to tone.

Although the link below is from Renner, I think many people would
find it interesting and useful:

<http://www.lloydmeyer.com/PDF/Voicing_the_Renner_Hammer.pdf>

Much of what is written here is equally applicable to the Abel
hammer, though there are a few things I would not accept -- for
example the use of 80 and 120 grit paper for facing the hammers.  I
would never go coarser than P 180.  The hammers I get from Abel are
not concave at the top as they used to be and I think they face them
up at the factory after cutting, which I am glad of.

JD