[pianotech] Abel naturals - report

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jul 19 22:02:59 MDT 2010

Dale Erwin wrote:

>   If one thing has become apparent in our discussion of the "Natural "
> felt is that many of us have had inconsistent results. It is the same
> with all hammers to one degree or another.

Yes, to one degree or another, but it's nearly universally
judged and reported without regard to soundboard construction
- as if that were a baseline given.

>    Ha, but this is why we must apply a variety of voicing techniques to
> even out these inconsistencies.

Or choose a hammer more likely compatible with the soundboard
and string scale, to avoid the near universal "just needs
voicing" fallacy, which can easily lead to disappointing
results on something different from the "standard" board and
string scale. I really hate to see this stuff downplayed,
because it is real and needs objective evaluation.

Ron N