[pianotech] Charging by job, or by hour?

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 22 05:12:07 MDT 2010

A couple of things on this thread:
There are certain repair procedures which are predictable enough for one to set a set price, such as the bridle strap replacement. Once you've done the procedure enough of times you start to figure how much it takes, and then times that amount for one's hourly rate, one can start to establish a comfortable fee for a given repair.
The real profit is when one get better and better at that procedure, lessening the time it takes to complete the job and still be able to charge that same amount.  That's the experience factor which pays for itself over time.
But the point that I wanted to add is that there other procedures such as high level regulating and voicing which demand much more attention to detail, thus make charging my the job a much more difficult call. It's not a matter of saying time's up, I'm done. It's when the procedure has been met, and agrees with the client's expectations of the job. Work for any major named artist and those words ring loud and clear.
My rule of thumb is to know the piano you are working with. If someone calls me by thumbing through the yellow pages and ask what my regulating fee is, I resort to giving a range of possibilities. Due to that fact I don't know the instrument, it's impossible to ascertain the degree of issues one my might be confronted with.
But if it's a piano I know and have serviced regularly and finally the issue of regulating comes up, then it's simple matter of figuring the amount of time you know will be the maximum amt. of hours and x that my your hourly rate.
But again, all of this comes with years of experience to safeguard your hourly worth.  No one likes to give away the farm. Do that enough times, it starts to hurt financially. It also takes then enjoyment factor out of some of these procedures.
 One  quickly learns to figure things out on a higher level so that these procedures are profitable, and most of all, enjoyable.
Tom Servinsky