[pianotech] Tuning for violin teacher

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 12:07:30 MDT 2010

Some violin players (including some teachers) make the mistake of thinking
that they should be able to tune their violin to the piano right after you
tune it.

You might be able to satisfy them if you make sure your temperament octave
has a little bit of a roll in it. When you stretch the octave, all the
intervals within it will also be stretched - making your 5ths more pure. (of
course it will make the 4ths wider as well, but I haven't had any complaints
about 4ths.)

You might also try putting a little extra stretch in the 5ths that violin
players tune to: G3-D4, D4-A4. A4-E5. This will create a bit of a
well-temperament, but it may be more satisfying to the violinist.

If it is a small piano, the G3-D4 5th can be quite distorted due to
inharmonicity: It can be wide at the 3:2 level and still sound irritatingly
narrow at the 6:4 level. I usually try to push the G down as much as
possible without the octave becoming too busy.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter