[pianotech] tightening balance hole was Bouncing Bostons

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 15:36:41 MDT 2010

On Jul 31, 2010, at 9:37 AM, Jon Page wrote:

> I've always had good luck with 50/50 glue and water. Elmers or Titebond.

Oh, I had a miserable, miserable experience once sizing BR holes with Titebond. Noisy.

I'm not sure whether I have tried Elmers. Probably not, since I don't keep it around.

But really, are we sure that anything is needed other than water to size the holes?

It has become my standard practice to use enough water (wallpaper remover, actually) when soaking out the BR bushings to wet the bottom of the mortise, and make the BR hole a bit smaller. True, this makes the hole a bit jagged, but when dry, I fit the keys to the keyframe and each set of keys getting key bushings also gets a fresh fit of balance rail holes to the BR pins.

Just doing key bushings and BR holes as one job seems economical enough for me.

Kent