[pianotech] Yer Wheels

Mark Purney mark.purney at mesapiano.com
Tue Nov 2 10:48:06 MDT 2010

The US (or Canadian) auto industry is only going to survive if it learns
how to compete. We can't save it with the patriotic ideal of buying
whatever they produce, just because the parent company was founded in
the US. The lines really blur between what is foreign and what is
domestic, anyway. Most Japanese cars sold here are also built here by
domestic workers. Much of the Big 3 production is not domestic.

I'm rooting for the Big Three, but not finding much to cheer about. Even
if every one of us bought a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, would our
contributions be enabling the Big 3 to restructure their business model
into something competitive, and improve their design, manufacturing, and
quality control to beat the foreign competition?  Or would we just be
enabling them, like trying to help a drug addict by giving him money?