[pianotech] Key easing question

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sat Nov 6 19:29:06 MDT 2010

Paul -
You're right.  I fell into the 'royal we' mode.  The original
question did, in fact, inquire after an expeditious solution.  I
think my thought process was that if Greg was unfamiliar with the
commonly used tools for this function, he might also be unaware of
some of the more enlightened approaches that have emerged since I
first started doing this. In fact, it's equally possible to
over-crush a key that has been removed from the key frame as one
which is simply lifted to allow access.  As for using the off-set
Renner pliers for the balance rail, it's perhaps not such a good
idea, for two reasons:
First, the maximum closure of the jaws will often not be enough to
compress the thin wall of the key button.  Second, the key buttons
are often off-set.  The jaws of the Renner pliers can't compensate
for the angle, the way an easing plier with a pivoting jaw can.  This
doesn't mean you couldn't still ease the balance bushings with keys
in-place, but you'd want to pull the frame out enough to use the other tool.

David Skolnik