[pianotech] Key easing question

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Sun Nov 7 00:51:29 MDT 2010

In a message dated 11/6/2010 8:29:00 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
davidskolnik at optonline.net writes:

As for  using the off-set Renner pliers for the balance rail, it's perhaps
not such a  good idea, for two reasons:
First, the maximum closure of the jaws will  often not be enough to
compress the thin wall of the key  button.
That's truly new to me. The pair I have have never failed in the straight
key buttons to close sufficiently to get enough pressure. Actually, since
they  don't close entirely, its a failsafe for my not-so-calibrated hands!

Second,  the key buttons are often off-set.  The jaws of the Renner pliers
can't  compensate for the angle, the way an easing plier with a pivoting jaw
 can.  This doesn't mean you couldn't still ease the balance bushings with
keys in-place, but you'd want to pull the frame out enough to use the other
 tool.

Here you are absolutely and totally 100% right, and I don't use the off-set
 plier on the angled buttons, but rather the pivot-plate plier.

Actually, I rarely run into instances where the balance rail needs a lot of
 work anyway, except after rebushing, or sometimes in the Spring here in
Chicago  when the humidity soars.

Nice to hear from you.

Paul