[pianotech] Imagine

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Fri Nov 12 00:19:26 MST 2010

Susan

In response to this, and the other comments you made, there has to come a time when we, as technicians, say "enough is enough". That doesn't mean you have to say it on every old and broken down instrument you come across. If you think you make make the piano play for a few more years, by making some quality repairs at a reasonable price, fine. But what I'm trying to say, and I think what Ron is saying, with which I agree, is that there are too many technicians out there who repair the piano because they need the money, not because the instrument is worth fixing.

On the other side of that coin is the customer who insists on getting the piano repaired, even when it's not worth repairing, but then turns around and complains that after a few minimum repairs are made, for next to nothing, demands that you come back and make more repairs, for nothing, because the piano isn't playing like a new one. That is one of the primary reasons I turn down those jobs, even if I think I can make the repairs. In the long run, it's just not worth it on my part to get involved.

Wim