[pianotech] Fw: strings breaking/ Nordheimer

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Wed Nov 17 23:42:21 MST 2010

Which strings are breaking? Plain steel tenor and treble strings or wrapped
strings? If it is the plain steel strings then what kind of wire is used?
Mapes wire is just a bit tougher than Roslau (and, probably, Chinese-made
wires). If wrapped strings are breaking you might want to find out what the
scaling is like. How close is the design tension to the breaking point of
the core wire. Check the termination points; if it is the treble strings
that are breaking what does the V-bar look like? If it is too sharp this can
aggravate string stress. (This is not likely, though.) Also check the
hammers; hard and/or flattened hammers will stress the strings more than
softer, more resilient hammers.

About technique-there are some pianists whose playing style or technique
simply breaks strings. This is not how pianos were intended to be played.
The instrument is a pianoforte not just a forte. If the pianist cannot get
this through his/her head and correct their playing style accordingly then
they should be prepared to continually replace the strings that break. It's
much the same as the car driver who rides the breaks-the brake pads are
going to need replacing frequently and it's not the car's fault. Or the
driver who lays rubber each time he/she takes off from a stop light-tires
are going to wear out faster and it's not the tire's fault. This is the
price you pay for treating your car badly. Frequently replacing broken
strings are the price the pianist pays for abusing his/her piano.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

620 South Tower Avenue