[pianotech] Fw: strings breaking/ Nordheimer

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Nov 18 20:45:35 MST 2010

On 11/18/2010 9:06 PM, Carl Teplitski wrote:

> Sounds like you may have the answer I was looking for, and it's the
> manner of play that's causing the
> breakeage. Changing to different strings would likely produce a
> different tone than the originals.

As least for a while, until those are broken too. In the 80's I saw a
4'-something high school vocal music teacher utterly destroy a new
Baldwin studio in under a year and a half. We went through three full
sets of bass strings, the last a "heavy duty" set supplied by Baldwin,
and hands full of individual replacements. She stood at the piano, since
she couldn't see over it sitting, and her full straight arm weight went
into playing loud enough to be heard over (drown out?) the choir. I'd
told her at the first string break that she needed a grand, and a big
one, but that wasn't about to happen. The piano finally came back to the
store worn out, patched up, and utterly worthless for resale as used.
I'm not sure what they did with it, but it sure deserved better.

I wish you luck, as it's unlikely to be any fun.
Ron N