[pianotech] hitch pin hole

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Sat Dec 3 16:37:28 MST 2011

Ed,

As Del writes, very likely a gas pocket. If a
larger pin is collapsing again it will probably
need to be a case of moving the pin to 'fresh
pastures'.

During one of the early Sydney piano competitions
(1981 or 1985 - two comps for which I was
preparing the Bösendorfer), one of the other
company's pianos developed a crack which ran from
the hitch pin to the edge of the plate adjacent
to the long bridge. Once the problem was pointed
out to the company's tech, there was much
wringing of hands. The first decision was fly out
another example of the piano for the event.
However, when the replacement arrived it was
clearly tonally inferior to the originally
supplied piano. So the company decided to
relocate of offending hitch further back in the
plate, after which both pianos were provided for
the competition. At the conclusion of the comp
both were returned to the factory.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers

Web http://overspianos.com.au
mailto:ron at overspianos.com.au

A web page with images of recent work and
almost-audio-CD quality mp3 sound files of the
Overs piano can be found at;
http://overspianos.com.au/more_info.htm

So put on your headphones, plug them into your
freshly restarted computer and sit back to over
20 minutes of pure piano.