[pianotech] old list/new site

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Dec 14 20:47:34 MST 2011

Last September I went to Italy to lecture at the AIARP convention.  I've
written a synopsis about it which may appear in a future journal to be
decided.  I wanted to comment that when I was there I was surprised to hear
about how many Italian technicians read the list as a source of information
which is otherwise not readily available to them for various reasons which I
won't go into now.  I think of people like John Delacour, with whom I've
sometimes disagreed, but who in the past has added an interesting line of
discussion and knowledge on various topics.  Or people like Ron Overs, Andre
Oorebeek and others who will have a much more difficult time both reading
and participating in the list should it switch exclusively to the new format
and others of whom we will likely never know.  I'm disappointed by that and
I think there is some shortsightedness in terms of the overall impact of the
list serve and the format which provides ease of accessibility to a
worldwide audience.  While certainly not the only source of information and
knowledge it does, in my view, function to move the trade forward in its own
way.

Recently I finished reading the biography of Steve Jobs and one couldn't
help but be impressed with his consistency and single minded vision to
friendly user interface and ease of accessibility.  I don't have to think
too hard about what he would say about the new format and, honestly, I would
have to concur.   If it takes more than two clicks it's.well I don't need to
substitute his colorful language here but I think you get the point.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com