[pianotech] Soundboard problem?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Dec 30 12:28:40 MST 2011

On 12/30/2011 9:40 AM, Claude Harding wrote:

> I have done a moderate amount of rebuilding down through the years,
> including pinblocks and bridge work, but all of it
> has been on pianos where the soundboard was not a problem. I am
> thinking I have run into my first such issue.

Claude,
Much more likely, you've seen a number of them and this is the first
you've recognized.

> The poor condition of the strings and hammers make tonal evaluation a
>  challenge, but the tenor and treble seem adequate in both

Yes, that is a problem - one of the many with evaluating soundboards by
tone.

> volume and sustain. The bass is much weaker in both ways. Checking
> bridges and ribs for resonance and decay time with a tuning fork
> gives what seems to me to be acceptable results.

Have you tested dynamic range throughout the piano? Even the worst of
boards can sound acceptable at a low dynamic level, and fall apart
quickly at higher amplitudes. I know you took bearing measurements, but
did you match those to crown measurements underneath in the same spots?

You also mentioned taking the strings off and seeing how much the board
comes up. This is an almost universally invoked, yet utterly useless
test, as it tells you nothing of the load capacity of the board. That
information comes from a correlation between bearing measurements on
top, and crown measurements directly below the bearing measurements (and
lots of them) when the piano is still strung and at pitch.

> The piano is a family "heirloom," being fixed up to be passed on to a
>  daughter, so her 5 year old can begin lessons.

Of course.

>I think I need to get the piano
> owner in my shop, discuss the entire situation with her, then proceed
>  with caution.

I agree 120%, and the age of the piano doesn't warrant any degree of
optimism whatsoever on the condition of the board. And that's the
foundation. Any work put on top of a dead soundboard will be wasted. and
then it's too late. Not to put too fine an edge on it, but lipstick on
the corpse won't produce an acceptable prom date. <G>
Ron N