[pianotech] Soundboard problem?

Claude Harding charding88 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 30 08:40:50 MST 2011

Roger & Terry,

(I am reposting Terry's response, along with Roger's, because Terry's did
not post to the list.)

  Thanks so much for taking time to respond to my posting, and for the wise
words of counsel and caution.

I have done a moderate amount of rebuilding down through the years,
including pinblocks and bridge work, but all of it

has been on pianos where the soundboard was not a problem.  I am thinking I
have run into my first such issue.

  The poor condition of the strings and hammers make tonal evaluation a
challenge, but the tenor and treble seem adequate in both

volume and sustain.  The bass is much weaker in both ways.  Checking bridges
and ribs for resonance and decay time with a tuning fork

gives what seems to me to be acceptable results.

  The poor tone in the bass could be caused by the old strings or a bridge
problem.  What I can see of the bass bridge looks solid, but the

apron/riser & riser/soundboard glue joints are hidden under the plate.  I am
hesitant to tear things down for further inspection, because if a

soundboard replacement is needed and the customer wants it, I will have to
job that out or send the entire project to another shop.  I want to

learn to do soundboard work, but I think my first project needs to be on an
old Wurlitzer I have rather than a customer's piano.

   The piano is a family "heirloom," being fixed up to be passed on to a
daughter, so her 5 year old can begin lessons.  I think I need to get the
piano

owner in my shop, discuss the entire situation with her, then proceed with
caution.

   Thanks again for the helpful responses. I'm certain that they have also
been of benefit to those on the list, and my musings may have at least

provided some entertainment.

Best regards,

Claude Harding

  _____