[pianotech] Keyblock/frame bedding problem

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Thu Mar 3 22:39:39 MST 2011

Daniel -
If I understand your description, then I don't think anyone has
actually addressed your question.  First up, it would be possible,
though unlikely, that, even with the key blocks out, you could be
knock-free.  That would depend upon whether the underside of the
front rail is relieved at the ends, to create a positive flex when
the blocks are tightened down.  But you're saying that, even with the
blocks installed, the keyblock plate, which in the Kawai is made of
plastic, is not bearing on the keyframe pin.  And not by a
little.  You're talking almost 1/8". That's a lot.  Isn't there an
adjustable component to that plate?  I don't think it's simply a
solid piece of plastic, eh? Take a look.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY