[pianotech] New List versus Old List RE: pianotech Digest, Vol 29, Issue...

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Wed Mar 9 23:46:48 MST 2011

David:

I applaud your balanced response.

Paul

In a message dated 3/9/2011 11:52:31 P.M. Central Standard Time,
davidlovepianos at comcast.net writes:

Israel:
Here’s  the problem I have with your post.  While I understand that the PTG
does  not exist for the list, the contributions of those on the list are
not small  and their generosity should be respected and appreciated in spite
of the  quirks of some of their communications styles and in spite of some of
the  useless, antagonistic  and redundant threads.  It’s part of what
happens in dialogue.  Some of the posts themselves are used for PTJ  sections
and are an integral part of that publication.  But more than  that the list
represents an attitude that many technicians have of giving  back.  While the
list provides an opportunity for people to learn from  others it only does
so out of the generosity and willingness of technicians  (around the world in
this case) to share their thoughts and ideas, techniques,  tools and tips.
It’s no small thing and the trade benefits enormously  from that
generosity.  To imply that it is mostly the list members who  owe something to the PTG
for providing them a “chatty” forum is to disrespect  the efforts that
they make to offer their collective wisdom.  It is as if  to say, thank you for
your generosity and now if you want to keep giving you  will have to pay
for your generosity.   How much more effort should  I have to make to offer
what I know out of nothing more than my own commitment  to the betterment of
the trade and to help others who are trying to  learn.  Respectfully, I think
you have it backwards.  The PTG  operates primarily as a source of
education and support for its members and a  running dialogue in real time, an open
forum, where ideas are easily posted  and discussed and where the format
lends itself to tangential discussions that  often lead in unpredictable but
productive directions  is a considerable  part of that ongoing education.  It
doesn’t exist as easily or in the  same way outside of this format. Whether
you personally consider the list a  valuable form of the ongoing education
cycle I don’t know.  But I do and  so do a lot of others.
With  respect to Allen and those who made great efforts to bring this new
site  online, nobody is disparaging them and I for one am truly sorry if
anything I  said was taken that way by them or anyone else.
Great  efforts on a bad idea are still great efforts and can be applauded.
But  they don’t make the idea any better.  And while we may very well
disagree  on the merits of the idea, I would hope that people (including those
who made  the great efforts) could keep those things separate.

David  Love
www.davidlovepianos.com