[pianotech] A new Pianotech list that works

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Sat Mar 12 14:36:25 MST 2011

Perhaps relevant to the Google Groups discussion: Google is apparently
rolling out major changes to their Groups user interface:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/googlegroups-announce/RWtHlHrWieU/-KBEricWPCUJ<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/googlegroups-announce/TcKW978vNBQ>

I don't know who else sees it, sometimes the algorithm Google uses for
rolling out new features is a mystery, but I was just today invited during
the login process to try out the new interface.

At first glance, they appear to be incorporating some of the Gmail style
features, keyboard navigation, rich composition including inline images.
It's really fast. Being a heavy Gmail user, I'm already drooling. Hopefully,
some of the engineers from the defunct Wave team will be helping.

I manage a few Google Groups, and it's an "ok" system. Maybe some of what
they're working on is the management interface. One interesting thing I
bumped into is that if you try to batch import a bunch of email addresses,
they'll throttle your rate of import. It can take days. If, however, you use
the mode where people are invited to join, and they have to click through
the Google interface, that's faster.

Jim