[pianotech] What is bloom,

Nicholas Gravagne ngravagne at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 09:24:12 MDT 2011

Agreed. This is my take on it. However, the psychoacoustic idea (PI) is
considered bunk by some (they would have to argue with the likes of
Helmholtz and many physicists) owing to what seems to be a far too
open-ended and subjective realm. I can appreciate this point of view when
the PI is used carelessly to explain away or to explain "in" any pet theory
they may hold.

But clearly the amazing ear fills in the gaps and "smooth-curves" the choppy
effect of even listening to, say, A440. We don't hear this Hz as a staccato
effect of 440 acoustical pushes and pulls. That is to say, the ear will
analyze, filter and construct a useful resultant curve of many disparate
impulses.

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 7:50 AM, David Love <davidlovepianos at comcast.net>wrote:

> I like the psychoacoustic explanation and it might well be a good one and
> relate to the actual shape or slope or rate of change of the sustain curve
> as well as the relationship between the chaos phase and the sustain phase.
> A sustain curve exhibiting a slower rate of change after the chaos period
> (or showing a relative flattening out) might be interpreted as a bloom when
> compared to a more rapid rate of decay.

Agreed. No extra energy required.

> Voicing could then be understood to influence bloom in terms of shaping the
> relationship between the chaos phase and the sustain phase.  It’s certainly
> a simpler explanation and those are generally more attractive, Occam’s
> Razor.

Ah, voicing. You once coined a phrase (at least for me): From Chaos to
Harmony.

--
Nick Gravagne, RPT
AST Mechanical Engineering