[pianotech] Rubber watchamacalits

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 19:42:53 MDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Arlie Rauch <adarpub at midrivers.com> wrote:

> I tuned a Baldwin SF grand today that I haven't seen for a while.  The
> sustain pedal squeaked, and as far as I could tell the offender was the
> hard, dried out, rubber cup, bushing, collar (I don't know what to call it)
> that sits in the end of the pedal and receives the pedal rod.  Does anyone
> know where to get these?  They are not the same from piano to piano.  I have
> some for other brands, and they did not work here.  The whole set needs to
> be replaced.  I can't find them in Schaff's catalog (doesn't mean they
> aren't there).
>
> Arlie Rauch
> Glendive, MT

I've done some of the other suggestions that have been made. What I've
settled on is what I saw in a Kawai-made Howard grand. Saw it, liked it, and
now copy it. :-)

Put a leather punching (disk?) at the bottom of the pedal "cup", then bush
with action cloth. A little PVC-E glue to hold the cloth in place, but make
sure the glue doesn't get on the leather. The old rubber gunk from the pedal
rod gets cleaned off, the rod polished with Flitz, and then add a little
Teflon powder in the new for insurance against squeaking. (Though I doubt it
will ever squeak, and probably never like the nasty rubber ones.)

I have a little leather and felt kit that has the leather punchings already
punched out (in a baggie), and some action cloth ready to be cut to size.
The leather came from Pianoforte Supply (bought at a convention sometime).
The action cloth is the medium green stuff ... from Schaff, I think.

--
John Formsma, RPT
Blue Mountain, MS