[pianotech] Is this the work of an RPT?

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Thu Sep 1 09:36:40 MDT 2011

Hi Matthew,

As a poignant example, a new service moved into our town about three years
ago.  They started out at about the same rates as our highest priced techs
(myself included).  After a year and a half, they raised their rates for a
tuning 20%!!!  Yes, 20%.  I was rather surprised.  And, they are busy.  I've
not caught up to that mark yet, but I'm working on it.  Fear of losing
clients is powerful and difficult to overcome - at least for me.  But the
more I raise my rates, and the more my clients don't so much as blink, the
more I become a believer.  And while it's true that I have had a (very) few
complain, they were complaining from the start, but they still pay it.

FWIW,
William R. Monroe