[pianotech] Digital Keyboards - Not pianos

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 1 13:11:33 MDT 2011

David said: "Joe, piano technicians will not be able to stop people calling
these
devices pianos.

We can set an example, but that's all.

In point of fact, I called them Digital or Electronic Pianos. They will
be called what they will be called. Language is living and fickle. What
we call a piano today started out with a longer name, did it not?
Clavicembalo con piano ? forte, or some such thing. These digital
instruments will have piano in the name, and we cannot stop it.
Marketing, if nothing else, will ensure this.

We are in complete agreement about the merits and demerits of these devices.

Best regards,"

David,
I agree with all you have said. My point is to make a concerted effort to
get US to quit calling them Pianos. If we, (Techs), do that, it may make a
small difference, at least with OUR clients, hopefully. It's that "...small
step for ???" thing.<G>
I do appreciate the fact that "Marketing" is driving this. The question is,
who has more "clout".<G>
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.