[pianotech] Damper Head Refinishing

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 4 14:47:51 MDT 2011

Patrick,
Using the previously mentioned "apparatus", I just use strong paint
stripper and strip the finish off of the heads. You'd be amazed at some of
the beautiful kinds of wood that they used for dampers! Once you get the
finish stripped off, flush them with lacquer thinner and let set/air for a
day or so. I prefer to do a light coating of either Tung Oil or Mohawk
Satin Lacquer, (rattle can<G>). Of course I have a love affair with natural
wood finishes. I loathe, hate and despise Black! Black to me is "covering
up something"! (my own quote!<G>) Oh, when I'm doing all of this, I cover
the damper wires with Saran Wrap, so that they don't get any over-spray. I
usually do the cleaning of the damper wires last. If you do not like the
look of the sides of the damper heads with finish, then it's time to break
out the Blue Masking tape!<G> It takes time to mask off every one of the
heads, but it has proven to be the only way that works. I've tried slotted
foam rubber and all sorts of "quickie" thangs..to no avail! Once you get
them all pretty and the new felt on them, it's a good idea to cover the
whole thing with Saran Wrap, if you aren't installing right away.
Regards,
Joe