[pianotech] Grand hammer weight

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Sep 30 13:19:51 MDT 2011

Try the Abel Naturals from Wally Brooks.  They can figure it out.  It's
worked many times for me on various makes of pianos.  You'll have to send
in the sample hammers and shanks from the ends of each section. It's a bit
harder when they've been filed down to nothing, but I think they do a
great job.

I heard this summer at the Convention, from Andre Orebeek, that he only
recommends one major filing only on a set??!!  With my limited budget at
my university, I can't really go for that, but in theory, that makes the
most sense for the "every day" grand in a home, and helps keep a good
regulation possible.  The more I learn and see here, I could file and
regulate every month! (I don't, however..trust me!)  I try to get about
5-7 years more or less per set.  Uprights more like 10 as they're not
played often or hard like the piano majors!!~

How big is the grand?  I imagine a small one, being in a bar.  Man those
things sure get the crap beat out of them, eh? I've seen plenty...and
nobody wants to spend the dough to make them nice enough to bring in good
players...then again, most bar players don't really notice much....they
all sound better near closing time! ;>)  Billy Joel coming anytime?

Paul