[pianotech] Thumpe returns... and the shellac on old plates.....

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Thu May 10 12:27:59 MDT 2012

Several suggestions on plate reconditioning.

I agree with Euphonious that plates can be cleaned and come out
looking almost new with the right cleaner. I found that Dow Scrubbing
Bubbles Bathroom aerosol cleaner works wonders and does not require
soaking the plate, pins or soundboard. Also, it has not color dye
added so no problem there. I have used this on every hard surface of a
piano and also the felt with no problem. Not sure about leather and
hammers.

 I think I wrote this up before for this forum and have submitted it
to TT&T. The bubbles work very fast and float all the brown stuff off
the plate in seconds. I am pretty sure it is not the shellac but
tobacco tar and nicotine because I can smell it as it comes off. I do
use a dusting 4 inch nylon paint brush and a vacuum before the
scrubbing bubbles just to decrease the volume of grunge to mop up.
this goes for the soundboard too. It is also hard to blow the wet wads
of lint and dirt. This goes for the soundboard too. For the
soundboard, it is better to tip the piano up and use gravity as well
as the blower to blow the bubbles down to a rag at the rim.  You can
wipe it up or blow it to a corner and mop it up. I use a Metro Vac on
blower mode and blow the foam to a convenient corner and have a rag
there to absorb it. With the Metro vac blower, everything comes out
nearly dry just like those high powered hand dryers in the restrooms.

For between the pins, the scrubbing bubbles work best with a 4 inch
stiff nylon cheap paint brush to loosen the dirt. Brush it to the
front corner and blow it into a rag. You will be amazed how well it
works. It does not have enough liquid to soak into the pin block. I am
talking about a 30 second exposure to the bubbles.

I use Sharpie brand black paint markers from Michael's craft store for
lettering. They are toluene solvent based and work well. You can use
the Sharpie paint last to avoid any bleeding. It is glossy.

Otherwise, if you are having trouble with the clear coat taking off
your marker or bleeding it, try a water based clear. I have used
System 3 two part clear marine coat on a couple pianos and it is a
nice high gloss finish. It can be brushed, but spraying is better. It
can be thinned a bit to brush or spray better. Jamestown Marine Supply
carries it on line. They ship very fast. You can still top coat it
with a solvent based finish on top of the water based if you want to
but why bother.

Come to my French Polishing seminar in Seattle. That is a Shameless plug.

The Adhesives presentation was scrubbed but will be presented here
soon. You will be surprised at some of the test results comparing
adhesives.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold, NY