[pianotech] Old can of worms (was Re: tunelab vs verituner)

Paul Williams pwilliams4 at unl.edu
Thu May 10 15:03:57 MDT 2012

Spot on, Jason!

….the 30-50cent pitch raise tuning might suit the customer well for 2-3 years!  Then, why do it? Or, they just drift so far out in the next few weeks, that they think he's not very good! It's not the technicians fault that the customer only tuned it once since new or when they bought it or inherited it.   Not his fault when they do that. Even the best pitch raise and tunings are only good for a short while.  They really need 2-3 tunings after that to get stable. That is in within the next 2-3 months! Otherwise, you go through the same thing over and over…like the definition of insanity stated many years ago by Dr. Einstein!  Of course, they'll be crimes put to me about this too.  I've done my time, really!

When I have come across this beast, and have many many times, I automatically schedule another tuning within the next month or two…sometimes within a week or two.  Those who did, became good customers; those who didn't or declined to want to, I just let them go, made a note of it and chose to tune or not 3 years later..depending on if we all got along, or if I deemed the piano worth the trouble. I will not wrestle a monster bigger than I over and over…..once is enough unless it wants to get tamed!

Try to tame a wild mustang every year or two?? I don't think that can happen.  Surprisingly enough, some pianos actually behaved themselves! It's all in how they were first treated when new, the previous tuning history, no matter how long ago it was, etc etc.  An old dog can, indeed re-learn the new tricks, but an old dog with no tricks… tough to do!

I have tried and now must relax on this topic.  No more can be done to those who don't want to learn.

Paul