[pianotech] H4-N Zoom Hand held recorder

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed May 30 09:30:17 MDT 2012

List ---Here is a post from a recording engineer/friend concerning this recorder and a link where more information can be found. His comments outline the expenses one can expend in the search of excellent recordings.

Dale Erwin... RPT
 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S pianos
www.Erwinspiano.com
209-577-8397

For me the major advantage of the H4n over the H2 is that you can plug in pro mics (xlr connectors in the back) if you have them --- or plan to buy them.  Decent mics to record a piano would be something along the lines of a pair of Neumann KM 184's, which would probably cost around $1,800 for the pair.  There are other better mics that are substantially more in price.   It's kind of a never ending thing, if you want to go crazy and have the dough.  And if you're going that route (i.e. audiophile) with external mics, you'd likely want to buy a nice preamp as well.  Add another $1,200 or so.

However, for $119, the H2 will allow you to very quickly make reference recordings of pianos --- as I did when I was playing yours.   It's far from a perfect recording "system", but certainly good enough to help me remember differences between instruments.   And extremely simple and portable.

Either way --- H2 or H4 --- you will certainly get your money's worth. The H4-N is $300 ish-Dales note

Jon

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_REVIEWS%7C1&ci=14934&N=4248627700&srtclk=sort

They're a large and reputable electronics dealer out of New York. (There are plenty of other places to buy online.  But you might want to start here to figure out which recorder you like, then Google search it to find a cheaper price, if there is one).

As you can see, there are tons of choices for hand held digital recorders.  The one I have, the Zoom H2, which is now a couple of years old, has come down in price quite a bit.  Given the importance of the recording you want to do, it might be worth it for you to buy something a little more high end with a few more features. (For example, the ability to plug in a pair of high end external microphones which could be individually placed in the sweet spot of the piano or elsewhere in a nice auditorium)  But the simplicity of this thing can't be beat.  And for about $100, it might not be a bad introduction to the technology.  I'm happy to talk with you further about recorders, microphones and recording techniques for piano if you need or want my help.  As mentioned, you can spend thousands of dollars in that pursuit.......

To be continued.......

Thanks again.

Best,

Jon