[pianotech] Pianodisc silent systems

Larry Fisher RPT larry_fisher at pdxtuner.com
Sun Jan 13 10:29:16 MST 2013

Hi David,

I’ve installed a dozen or better over the years.  Baldwin F should pose no problems that I can remember.  Although I’ve never actually seen an F let alone install a SS in one, I’ve installed them in Baldwin grands.  Earlier versions of this system required the reduction of material between the rails to facilitate clearance.   I used a rotary planer for this and had good results.  The current generation of sensor strip hasn’t posed this problem for me ever since it was introduced many years ago.

It adds 5 grams of touch weight.  Most people don’t notice this.  The preload of 3 to 5 mm is fairly critical for optimum performance.

The position of the rail can be a real stinker to get just right.  The clearance in the highest treble is the most difficult due to the flange of the plate being so close to the hammers.  Getting the hole in the horn just right is probably the most time consuming part of hanging the rail brackets.  Once everything is in place and adjusted to the max, it works really slick and has pleased everyone I’ve installed them for.

I adjust the rail so that a FFF blow doesn’t speak.  Technically the rubber strip on the rail should just barely touch at let off.  I adjust let off to about 5 mm or so to accommodate this and as I recall that is the spec for this job.  The biggest problem I’ve had with this is not the piano player noticing the sizable let off but rather a technician unaware of this spec and therefore adjusts the let off back to 2 mm.  This makes for a nasty feel in the keys when the rail is activated because the hammer shank hits the rail prior to the hammer hitting the string.  PPP play is not possible when this happens.  A small self adhesive sticker inside the action cavity indicating this specification could help to eliminate this problem.

Once the system is installed be sure to calibrate the touch strip.  This is done primarily through software and is fairly brainless to accomplish.  I don’t remember the specifics at this time  ........   I’m still on my first coffee and it’s Sunday.

If you lived closer I’d be happy to install it for you.

Lar