[pianotech] Totally glueless

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 05:13:17 MST 2013

      Nice bunch of facts, Ron, and nifty, derisive denigration,* Terry... but then how is it, if we follow your contention that so dismisses the "vibration through matter" conception, that a tuning fork can be held against the very LEG of a piano, and the soundboard still renders it's oscillations into audible tone??? (And strings also vibrate sympathetically, when the dampers are lifted, thus proving that the vibrations of the fork have passed through the solid structure to them --- unlike a shout, for example, that would more strongly cause the board to vibrate first, being vibrations passed through the air, and then the strings along with it.)  Surely you would not contend that the tiny ball on the base of that fork, placed so very remotely, is "pushing and pulling" the distant soundboard to create this audible tone?
     What confuses me the most, though, and what is most disturbing and unhelpful to what one would consider the desired "tone" of this list for the convivial sharing of facts and opinion, is you chaps' apparent unwillingness to accept that perhaps ANYTHING happens beyond the purview of your current comprehension. (And, as it relates to the subject at hand, that maybe just maybe BOTH phenomena transpire.) And your obvious, often indulged in compulsion to meanly ridicule  others, which MOST nescient beings would consider a very grave personality flaw which undermines your authority on all other matters, as it pertains to issues far more momentous than mere piano repair.

Thumpe

*Not that there is any other type. But I liked the alliteration!