[pianotech] Totally glueless

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 06:00:33 MST 2013

P.S. I would not, personally, consider the minimal glue line between a bridge cap and root to be an audibly discernible impediment to vibration transmission (and let's not call it  "sound transmission", please: because "sound" is the neurological sensation caused by our ears' diaphragms being oscillated by vibrations in the air!) even if the softest glue were used. BUT consider it commendable that in the "golden age" of piano construction (defined here as the heyday of its economic primacy) when every possible "trick" was employed, in a highly competitive market, to squeeze out even minuscule advantages, tonally (even theoretical ones) that such factors as relative speed of transmission of vibration through wood  according to grain orientation (as in vertically laminated bridges) was apparently respected. Factors that SEPARATELY might not result in an audibly discernible difference. But that, en masse, just might.

Thumpe

P.P.S. And I highly suspect that the derisive, mocking, patently unfriendly, distinctly un-humble, know-it-all attitude displayed by a few on this list would be MOST unwelcome in the workplace of one of our fine piano manufactories, in that 1880-1915 era!