[pianotech] tuning buddy

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Tue Mar 5 15:45:09 MST 2013

Marshall,

You said:

I encountered a Yamaha console today ... the two little nuts are missing
for the turn buckle/linkage.  I thought I'd head to the hardware store
tomorrow before I head back to tune it.

Bruce Browning said

... take the turnbuckle with you to the hardware store, match the size
thread by trying a bolt in the hole ...

That way you can test various bolt/machine screw sizes in the hardware
store and easily be certain of getting the correct size. One of them will
be a left-hand thread, meaning that the threads spiral the opposite way of
"normal" (or right-hand) threads.

Be sure not to try to jam a right-hand thread bolt into the left-hand
thread end of the turnbuckle, or you'll be buying a new turnbuckle,
assuming the hardware store HAS a turnbuckle that matches the threads of
the linkage rods.

All that said, I think I've seen lots more muffler-rail linkage rod
adjusters without lock nuts than with. But I suppose if it's used
regularly, there may be a tendency for the turnbuckle to creep, which would
warrant lock nuts.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN