[pianotech] The demise of pianotech list

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Wed Mar 20 12:29:42 MDT 2013

Joe, I agree. I felt that the choice of date was insulting
rather than humorous, especially added to the lack of notice
and the continuing lack of explanation of their rationale for
closing the mailman list at all.

It was immediately apparent that the people making the decisions
were not the people who had been using the list, and apparently
do not feel answerable to those of us for whom the list has been very
important in our lives. I even have caught a hint in some of the
posting about this that the EC committee presented their information,
but then were left out of the deliberations. (I hope I'm wrong
about that.) If so, it was a waste of their time, serving on
the committee.

One can say, "no harm done, Googletech will just take over
for the mailman users", but I think that misses the point. What
had been, just two years ago, a relatively unified and simple
setup -- CAUT, pianotech, and PTG-L -- is now fragmented beyond
retrieval. Dozens of little rooms on "myptg", mostly almost
empty, cross-posting to get around the narrowness of the groups,
hence discussions going on among a few people, some of whom
don't hear what other small groups are saying about the same
post, further fragmentation between old mailman pianotech
and new HL pianotech, and now Google email and something I
don't understand called Google+, not to forget the
people who've opted out in disgust and now inhabit PianoWorld,
or just turn off the computer, increasing the time they have
to work, but at the cost of isolation.

It seems to me this came about because the people making the
decisions did not understand the concept of critical mass --
there have to be a certain number of people having a discussion
for it to work right -- and also were not dedicated to transparency
in how these decisions were made and announced.

As a nod to the new order, I'm cross-posting this to PTG-L.

<snort of disgust>

Susan Kline